06 Oct Whitby restaurant owner fined £50,000 following fire safety breaches
The owner of Whitby restaurant Kam Thai (Whitby) Ltd has pleaded guilty to six breaches of fire safety at York Crown Court. Mr Azad Hussain, the former director of the company was also fined £50,000.
The charges came around following a fire safety inspection at the restaurant by North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service where they discovered a number of breaches:
- Lack of fire risk assessment
- Lack of working fire alarm and detection system
- Combustible items in the means of escape
- Inadequate fire separation
- Lack of fire training of employees
- Failure to comply with an Enforcement Notice
The judge described to the court how if a fire had broken out on either the ground of first floor or ground floor the risk of endangering of lives would have been extremely high.
If you are worried about your premise potentially breaching fire safety regulations don’t hesitate to contact us by email at [email protected] or by calling us at 0191 528 9233.