Reading landlords fined for safety failings

Posted 22/04/2016 by Macdonald Martin Ltd.

Categories: Uncategorised

Farooq Ahmed and Naseem Akhtar, of Kensington Road, Reading have been handed a £6,000 fine after they failed to repair the house where at least seven people were living.

Despite numerous warnings from health and safety inspectors, the two landlords ignored the instructions and left the tenants in what could be described as a death a trap. Inspectors found several hazards including a defective cooker, faulty smoke detectors, plug sockets and fire door, as well as a broken extractor. The window hinges didn’t work and there were missing drawer and kitchen cupboard handles.

Mr Ahmed and Mrs Akhtar were given plenty time to carry out the repairs and to obtain the correct safety certificates needed to make the house abide by the correct laws. However, they failed in doing so and were sentenced on 8th April 2016 at Reading Magistrates Court for breaches under the Housing Act 2004 and the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation Regulations.

The fines came to £1,900 for each landlord while also being ordered to individually pay a £100 victim surcharge and £1,000 in legal costs. This totalled to £6,000 for both landlords.

Alison Bell, Reading’s Director of Environment and Neighbourhood Services, said “The private rented sector is an increasingly important source of housing for many of our residents, but unfortunately, there are some landlords who fail to provide the quality of accommodation their tenants have a right to expect.”

If you’re concerned about the fire safety within your property and want to take steps to help protect it against any fires, contact us today on 0191 523 7870 or email [email protected]