North Kensington landlord found guilty of fire safety offences
Posted 02/08/2016 by Macdonald Martin Ltd.
A London landlord from North Kensington has been fined a total of £5,500 in costs after it was found his fire safety precautions in his properties were lacking.
Mr Matthew Ryan was charged with three offences after pleading guilty at Hammersmith Magistrates Court last week. The failings were discovered following a visit to the property by fire crews after a small fire broke out which had been started by a candle. An investigation then followed by Kensington and Chelsea Council which discovered a number of fire safety failings including:
- No wired-in fire detection system
- Unmaintained battery operated fire alarms
- Lack of fire doors to the bedroom, kitchen and living room.
The court heard that Mr Ryan is thought highly of by his tenants and regretted the offences. Despite this, the head of housing urged the fact that landlords must be aware of their responsibilities and ensure that the correct steps are taken to ensure that tenants are protected from the risk of fire.
If you are a landlord and you are worried about your property not matching up to the required safety regulations – feel free to contact us today! Call us on 0191 523 7870 or email us on [email protected]