Luton landlords fined over fire safety

Posted 21/03/2016 by Macdonald Martin Ltd.

Categories: Uncategorised

Mr Mohammed Nadeem, Mr Qamar Nazir and Mr Naveed Nazir who are the responsible for the management of a block of offices in Luton, which was converted into accommodation, have been fined due to the fire safety hazards found at the premises. Mr Mohammed Nadeem, Mr Qamar Nazir and Mr Naveed Nazir owned the freehold to the building but leased it out to DPG Business Solutions, which is a Stourbridge-based company ran by David Peter Gaye. Mr Nadeem was employed by DPG Business Solutions to manage the property.

Local council inspectors visited the property after being informed about the 2 offices floors converted into 20 bedrooms with communal kitchens and bathrooms. The fire safety hazards they found were:

  • Rooms not properly compartmentalised, potentially smoke and fire is able to pass through.
  • 1 fire alarm inoperable.
  • 1 fire escape blocked by 4 televisions, fire escapes on top and ground floor both passed through open plan kitchens.
  • Air suspension system in basement bedrooms which can be fatal if activated.
  • Basement fire escape door was defective and basement windows in were barred.

Samantha McKeeman, prosecutor, said “Following an inspection, the fire officer was very concerned in relation to the way the building had been converted. The fire officer was so concerned about risks from fire, he made a prohibition order on the premises. This was not done lightly, as the reality of doing this was that 45 people were made homeless.”

Mr Nadeem was fined £2,000 with £735 of extra costs, Mr Qamar and Naveed Nazir were fined £2,500 with £665 additional costs each. DPG Business Solutions were not present during court but pleaded guilty by post of a number of offences. David Peter Gaye, director, pleaded guilty to offences attributed to neglect on his part of company director. He is due to be sentenced at a later date.

If you’re worried about the fire safety within your property and want to take steps to help protect it against any fires, contact us today on 0191 523 7870 or email [email protected]