London landlord fined for fire safety breaches

Posted 22/06/2016 by Macdonald Martin Ltd.

Categories: Uncategorised

A landlord in Colindale, London has been order to pay £25,000 because tenants’ lives were at risk as they occupied the premises on Varley Parade. Faults at the house of multiple occupation included no fire resistant doors or smoke detectors, as well as failing to have the correct gas safety or electrical test certificates.

Habib Khan earns around £20,000 a year in rent from the property and was convicted after he failed to attend Willesden Magistrates Court.

A spokesperson for Barnet Council said: “The consequences of a fire could have been catastrophic. Mr Khan’s only response to the investigation was to evict two tenants so the house was no longer covered by licensing arrangements.”

Willesden magistrates has also fined the owners of 10 studio flats in Golders Green £120,000 because the lives of up to 20 tenants were found to be at risk. The property, located on Golders Green Road, had been under a prohibition notice stopping it from being let. However, tenants were still being charged a round £1150 per calendar month.

A spokesman for the council said: “Following a complaint from a tenant, our environmental health team found the accommodation to be in a very poor condition and badly managed.

If you are worried about anything fire safety related, we can help! Contact us today on 0191 5237870 or email us at [email protected]