London landlord fined £150,000 for ‘dangerous’ conditions

Posted 19/10/2016 by Macdonald Martin Ltd.

Categories: Uncategorised

A landlord has been handed a fine of £150,000 after failing to provide the correct fire safety precautions. Mr Abbas Rasul, the owner of a property in Kensington, London, made nearly £15,000 per month in rent from 18 residents who had been crammed in to the building.

There were no fire doors, smoke detectors or alarms in the flat and only one kitchen which had to be shared by all 18 people living in the property.

The gas boiler had not been serviced and had a cracked pipe in the chimney making it even more dangerous. The rooms were divided in to 14 using thin pieces of plasterboard as partitions which were shared among the tenants.

Due to the way the flat had been divided, some rooms had no electric light fittings meaning extension leads and trailing wires were running throughout the property.

The conditions were deemed so dangerous that Environmental Health Officers from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea issued a Prohibition Order to prevent further use of the flat.

“We have paid particular attention in our sentencing to the matters we deemed with overriding concern of potential immediate dangers, those being the fire safety hazards.

“In coming to our decision we took into consideration there had been a lack of compliance over considerable amount of time and an attempt to obstruct officers in their investigations.

“There is evidence of substantial disregard of their obligation to protect the tenants whilst they are living at the property.”

Contact MacDonald Martin Ltd today to make sure your property meets legislation!