Landlord fined after council crackdown on unsafe properties

Posted 25/01/2016 by Macdonald Martin Ltd.

Categories: Uncategorised

A fire revealed safety problems of a property in Nottingham. In February 2015, the fire broke out in a ground floor cabinet containing the consumer unit and meter which was spotted by a tenant. An investigation was undertaken, it was found that the electricity supply was illegally bypassed and caused the fire alarm system to fail. The investigation also found a lack of firefighting equipment in the property.

The landlord was fined £3,650 for endangering his tenants’ life and ignoring fire safety rules. Mr Sukhvinder Singh Swali, the landlord, pleaded guilty to breaching three Management regulations relating to firefighting equipment, fire alarms and failing to licence the property.

The Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) announced they would help Nottingham City Council and 47 other councils to reduce landlords who put residents at risk by increasing the amount of investigations, statutory notices, demolishing shed and prohibited buildings. The “Report a Rogue Landlord” media campaign will aim to educate and train landlords in partnership with Decent and Safe Homes East Midlands.

The portfolio holder for planning and housing Councillor Jane Urquhard said “Raising the standards of privately rented accommodation in this city is an ambition, commitment and priority for the council as all tenants should be able to enjoy living in decent and safe homes”.

To make sure that your property is safe, contact us today.