Good fire safety saved residential home

Posted 01/03/2016 by Macdonald Martin Ltd.

Categories: Uncategorised

A tumble dryer caught fire on 27th February at Springfield Grange Residential Care Home in Douglas. The fire alarm activated at 14:30, fire crews were called to attend the situation. Staff quickly identified a problem in the utility room on the ground floor and they found that the industrial gas operated tumble dryer caught fire. Staff carried out the evacuation plan for the premise. Stevensons Way was closed while emergency services attended the scene due to safety precautions. The crews stayed at the scene for approximately 40 minutes.

3 fire engines attended the site to put out the fire and a fire appliance’s officer from White Watch met the duty nurse. Douglas fire station crews were directed to the area involved in the fire. Firefighters used breathing apparatus and high pressure hoses to extinguisher the room involved before the fire spread to other parts of the building. The building’s fire precautions contained the smoke to a small area preventing it from smoking. A positive pressure fan was used by firefighters to clear the smoke from the building.

The cause of the fire is believed to be a mechanical fault within the unit, the flames were confined to the tumble dryer which was destroyed. Due to the quick response from the care home staff no one was injured or at risk during the incident. The staff used their training and the practice of fire procedures to get everyone evacuated from the building. Roger Brown, Station Officer, said “This was a really good example of how effective good property management, fire precautions and staff training work to protect both people and property from fire.”

To ensure your fire safety is of a high standard, call us today.