“Death Trap” pub owner fined for fire safety hazards
Posted 17/05/2016 by Macdonald Martin Ltd.
Graeme Kerry, the owner of a Hoddesdon pub, has been ordered to pay £25,000, as well as £6,819 in prosecution costs, for running the property without having the correct safety measures in place. On 1st April 2014, The Bell pub went up in flames and there were a number of deficiencies which put everyone inside the property at serious risk.
The fire alarm panel had no lights meaning no-one knew whether it was working and there was no back up battery. A smoke detector in one of the bedrooms was covered up with cellophane so that someone could smoke inside the room without setting the alarm off.
Three bedroom doors didn’t have either a self-closing latch or seal to secure the room in the event of a fire. Another room had five emergency lights but only two actually worked and the door was wedged open by a carpet which would make it much more difficult to shut during an emergency. No record of fire alarm testing throughout the property was kept.
Mr Kerry, 55, of Wavell Close, admitted to six charges of breaching fire safety rules.
Judge John Plumstead said: “He put real people at real risk. You cannot delegate your responsibility”
“It was genuinely frightening. You were running a death trap. If someone suffered injury or was killed, I would have no hesitation in saying a prison sentence would be necessary.”
If you are worried about your premise not meeting fire safety regulations or are in need of a fire risk assessment on your property contact us today on 0191 523 7870 or email us at [email protected].