Cooking fire safety tips
Posted 04/03/2016 by Macdonald Martin Ltd.
Around 60% of accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen – follow our tips below to help keep you and your family safe:
- Don’t leave pans unattended
- Try to avoid getting distracted while cooking
- Keep flammable items (tea towels etc) away from hobs
- Try to keep the oven, hob, cooker hood and grill clean to minimise the chance of fire
- Always supervise children and pets in the kitchen and keep all pan handles turned inwards
- Never put metal in the microwave
- Avoid cooking under the influence of alcohol
- If oil starts to smoke, take it off the heat to cool down
- Ensure the toaster is kept clean and not placed under flammable objects (e.g. curtains)
- Double check that ovens, hobs etc are turned off when you are finished cooking
It is worth considering purchasing a fire blanket and/or fire extinguisher for use in the kitchen. Call us on 0191 523 7870 or email [email protected] for more advice today!