26 Apr Company fined £25,000 for failure to carry out FRA
Charlton Engineering Services Ltd of Washington has been fined a total of £60,645 for breaching Fire Safety Regulations.
The company directors Colin and Lee Charlton pleaded guilty to eight charges on behalf of the company at Sunderland Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday 7th March 2018.
They were fined £25,000 for not having a Fire Risk Assessment (FRA) in place, £25,000 for having no Fire Alarm; £1000 per offence for six other offences and £4645 costs.
District Judge Roger Elsey said in court: “There was a significant fire but this was brought swiftly under control and although nobody was injured there was a risk of death or serious injury.
“Although the offences were of negligence rather than intention, the fine has to be significant. The most severe offence was not having a Fire Risk Assessment. If there had have been one done then the other offences may not have happened. Therefore, a fine of £25,000 for not having a Fire Risk Assessment is adequate.”
Tyne and Wear Fire Authority are responsible for enforcing the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. The charges were brought after a fire on the premises on January 5 2017, when an employee working remotely had to be alerted of the fire by another employee on the premises. They then had to make their way past the fire due to no available fire escapes.
The charges related to a lack of fire detection and alarm equipment; unavailability of several fire exits blocked or obstructed, a lack of fire safety training for staff and a lack of maintained fire doors. All of these deficiencies were rectified within the agreed time period set within the Enforcement Notice.
Keith Carruthers, TWFRS Area Manager for Community Safety said: “We always try to work with organisations and businesses in Tyne and Wear to create the safest working environments. Where there are serious or regular breaches of fire regulations which endanger lives we will take legal action.
“In this case there was a real risk of serious injury or death for staff on the premises, due to the fact that there were hazardous activities taking place on the ground floor and an employee working on an upper floor; these issues were compounded by there being no fire alarm in the building. These events resulted in one member of staff not knowing a fire had started and then found their escape routes blocked and obstructed.”